We are the YMCA
We are 4,000 volunteers and staff working together with more than 115,000 people across the Lower Mainland who believe in helping children and families reach their full potential. We are a charity dedicated to strengthening the foundations of community.
For over 130 years we’ve cared for kids, shaped leaders for tomorrow and helped generations of people come together to find support, get healthier and make friends for life. We are determined to be a genuine, welcoming, hopeful place that is nurturing and fun. This is the community we want. A community where we share a sense of social responsibility; experience better health in spirit, mind and body; and where children and families can thrive.
We see a better future
We all live in communities that experience profound change and increasing social problems. These problems are not getting smaller or any easier to solve. For some people and families, their needs are critical. Every day is a struggle, and getting out of bed feels impossible, nevermind the challenge of having enough food to eat or safe places to go. For others, they lack the motivation to make healthy choices and feel disconnected from others and their community.
The Y is the one organization that is there to meet those needs. We're there for people in times of crisis and we're also in the business of prevention. Prevention isn't glamorous work but for more than 130 years the Y has been playing the long game—helping people reach their potential before issues become problems.
We envision stronger, more hopeful and caring communities that result in:
- Strong and connected families
- Healthy seniors with strong social circles that volunteer and stay involved
- Resilient and healthy children who thrive and lead healthy, long lives
- Confident and skilled young leaders
- Motivated adults that take charge of their health, get active and become role models and mentors
- Immigrants who participate and engage in their communities
- Teens who feel confident and a strong sense of belonging
- Happy people, excited about life